Friday, August 15, 2008

The art of operating a cash register














I've been playing this game on my PS3 lately, it's called SingStar. My girlfriend and I decided to buy it because we both like karaoke. I got quite into the game and so did she, but what I didn't know was that my whole family would soon become fans of the game. It even has it's own online store (SingStore) so that you can download additional songs for it (I spent a few bucks on those, 1,49$ at a time). So the game costed 59.99+tax for the game and 2 microphones, which isn't a bad price for a game that comes with peripherals. The mics have audio jacks that you plug into a USB adaptor, so I could plug them into an amp, good stuff.

Here's the thing, you've seen the PS3 Eye camera in that little YouTube video, right? Well Future Shop had this sale going on: SingStar+PS3 Eye for 79.99+tax. Now I don't really need that camera, but it's usually 40-45$ everywhere, and everyone knows I can't resist a good deal when I see one. My plan was to buy the bundle at Future Shop and return the newly acquired SingStar game at EBgames, since I bought the game recently, I'd still get a refund for a sealed game. The PS3 Eye camera would end up costing me 20$ instead of 40-45$.

My mom woke me up at 9am so we could finalize our passport forms and finally get them in time for my trip to NYC (August 20-21-22), and the building where we had to hand them in wasn't far from the stores, so when we got out of there (around 2pm, gah!), we headed to FS. I got both the game and camera and went to pay for them. The girl who worked there didn't seem to be in total control of the situation, but heck, anyone can operate a cash register, right? Or so I thought anyone could! First she scanned both items, total came up to 90$ (79.99+tax, right), but the receipt didn't print, so she had to start over. Second time she scanned the items, she must have missed the game, because the total came down to 45$ (39.99, the price of the camera). Of course, I noticed, but I kept my mouth shut, d'uh. While walking out of the store, I almost felt like running, in fear of having to race to the car, followed by the clerk.

Next up was EBgames. That was quite simple, went up to the clerk, took out my receipt, said I bought it for someone and he already had the game, asked for a refund, got it, walked out.

So I ended up paying only for the PS3 Eye camera, getting the game for nothing, which is almost 70$ with taxes. Sweet deal!

1 comment:

PrincessK said...

haha, nice job. That cashier was a moron.